How To Flawlessly Apply Makeup
Mar 22, 2011 - by Amanda Gabriele
We all want perfect skin, but there are hundreds of things keeping it from ideal. Pollution, sun, food, alcohol, sleep and product all affect our biggest organ every second. But modern chemistry has given us makeup to cover the flaws. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to flawlessly apply your makeup without the streaks, lines or flakes that sometimes occur when used incorrectly.
1. Moisturize. Dry skin flakes which means makeup will look scaly when applied to dry skin. Always start with a moisturizer, and give your skin a few minutes to absorb before starting makeup application. Apply over the entire face and neck, then concentrate on dry or problem areas with a little extra. Ole Henriksen Truth Revealed Super Crème SPF 15 will moisturize and protect your skin from the sun all day and leaves it with a light sheen and luminous glow.
2. Conceal. The first thing to tackle are those dark circles under your eyes. You don't want to use foundation for this purpose because concealer needs to be just a touch lighter than your skin. Clinique Line Smoothing Concealer is light and works like a charm - a little product goes a long way for maximum coverage.
3. Apply the RIGHT color foundation. Finding a perfect match for your skin is absolutely crucial to a flawless face. Lines and streaks form when foundation is a different shade than your complexion. The best thing to do is ask for assistance. Find the girl (or guy) at the makeup counter with the clearest, most natural looking skin. They can tell you the best color for your face. If no one is around or you're in a hurry, make sure to test a few near your jawbone to pick the best looking color for you. When applying foundation, a little goes a long way. Just use it to even-out your skin tone; caking it on blemishes makes them look more noticeable. NARS Sheer Matte Foundation controls oil and enhances, without hiding, your overall natural complexion.
4. Seal it with powder. Foundation will melt away quickly if you don't apply this topcoat of sorts. Powder increases the staying power of foundation and smooths the appearance of your skin. Again, make sure you find the closest color match to avoid looking like you're wearing a mask. A sheer powder for day like Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil doesn't look too heavy. If you are going to a big event where the chance of being photographed is high, nothing looks better on camera than MAKE UP FOR EVER Duo Mat Powder Foundation. Don't forget a great application brush like Sephora Collection Professionnel Platinum Powder Brush #50.
5. Cut glass with your cheekbones. Although foundation and powder even out the complexion and conceal blemishes, they tend to flatten the natural contours of the face. Adding a highlighter to the cheekbone, starting at the point level with the outer corner of your eye and swept in a light, upward/outward motion toward your hair line, works wonders. This gives the appearance of higher, more defined cheekbones. Tarina Tarantino Sparklicity Pure Gold gives your skin a unique, reflective finish that accentuates the cheekbones.
6. Put some flush in your cheeks. A rosy cheek is a lovely cheek, or so we've been told since the beginning of time. Give yourself a healthy flush with a little blush on the apples. Not sure where to apply? Smile big - the roundest part of your cheeks toward the side of your face is the target. Lightly dot on blush with a professional brush, making sure not to overdo it. Too much pink will totally cancel out all of your hard work so far. Your face will look instantly brighter with a dose of Benefit Bella Bamba. The Tokidoki Siberia Blush Brush is both adorable and perfect for application.
What are some of your makeup tips for creating a flawless face?