How To Hide & Shape the Tummy Without Anyone Noticing
Apr 21, 2011 - by Amanda Gabriele
It has been called many things over the years - pooch, beer belly, gut, FUPA, muffin top. No matter the name, having a little extra pudge in the stomach area is somewhat inevitable unless you eat nothing and work out a grillion hours a week. If you don't have time for this nonsense, we have some solutions for you. Here are six ways you can hide and shape the tummy under spring clothing.
1. Invest in a tent: Not to camp in silly, to wear! Tent dresses are the best fat day cures in the whole entire world. Just make sure it fits you well through the chest and arms to avoid looking like you're wearing an actual tent; that's when this look becomes unflattering. Above: MinkPink Table Manners Dress $88, shopnastygal.com
2. Wear pants at your actual waist: Here's the thing, low rise pants are not flattering if you carry extra weight in your stomach. Try a pair of high-waisted pants that sit at your natural waist, the smallest part of your stomach. Adding a wide leg is even better - it's like distributing that weight downward to even-out your figure and make you look taller. Above: Milly Woolen High Waisted Trousers $328, julesb.co.uk
3. Opt for an empire waist: When the waist of a dress sits above your natural waist and flows into an A-line skirt, it draws attention up and away from your problem area. Choose a dress with a structured, well-fitting top in a fabric that isn't clingy. Above: Marchesa Empire Silk Chiffon Gown $5,821, boutique1.com
4. Go vintage shopping: They don't make 'em like they used to, that's for sure. In an age of fast fashion and mass produced everything, garments are not made of the same high quality they once were. Dresses from the 50s and 60s were tailored to actually fit a woman's body correctly and give her a waist. Try on some different options and find what looks best on you, but dresses from the 50s, 60s and 80s are good places to start. Above: Vintagephilosophy 1950s NEW LOOK Cocktail Dress $159, etsy.com
5. Buy a bra that fits: And no excuses! As an intimate apparel industry veteran, I can't tell you how many women I've heard say "this new bra changed my life." A proper fitting bra lifts and separates to give you the shapely figure you deserve. It also improves posture and, I guarantee, confidence that will be noticed by everyone. Stop by a department store with a good intimate apparel department, and someone can measure and help you find the perfect fit. Above: Betsey Johnson Stocking Stripe Lightly Lined Demi Bra $48, betseyjohnson.com
6. Cute shapewear won't kill you: Shapewear - UGH what a gross word, right? Well, it doesn't have to be. Shaping and smoothing garments have come a long way since girdles, as many of them can pass for regular clothing. Smoothing and shaping tanks with a touch of lace look like normal slips or camis, so you don't need to worry about being frumpy when removing your clothes. Above: Shapeez Tankee Long $ 85, unbelievabra.com
What are your tips for hiding a tummy under light spring clothing?