How To Wear Appropriate Undergarments With Spring Clothing
Mar 28, 2011 - by Amanda Gabriele
It's hard to imagine worrying about wearing the proper undergarments on a cold day like this one - I could wear a bullet proof vest under my outfit and no one would notice. But spring is on the horizon, meaning lighter, thinner, sheerer clothing. There is nothing less fabulous than wearing inappropriate undergarments with your new spring wardrobe. Click through for a how-to on finding and wearing the proper undergarments so you don't look a mess come pleasant temperatures.
1. Nude is a no-show. White undergarments do not disappear under white garments, so get the idea out of your head. Unless you're going for the whole "look at my underwear" thing and are positive you can pull it off, wear nude undergarments when you see color is showing through your clothes. Chantelle Icone T-Shirt Bra in Skin combines comfort, style and function. As for underwear, Commando Low-Rise Girl Shorts in True Nude and Hanky Panky Lace Thong in Nude are both excellent options.
2. If show-through is your thing, keep it one color. The sheer trend is big, especially when letting your undergarments show through a dress. I am all about it and ready to partake come summer, but don't channel the rainbow. Stick with one color, or block of colors, for both your bra and panties. The VPL Insertion Bra and matching VPL Convexity Undi are meant to be shown and great if you're looking for a bright spring statement. Pair this Agent Provocateur Melody Padded Underwire Bra with the Eberjey Pima Goddess Low-Rider Bikini for a super sexy nighttime look.
3. Smooth with a slip. Gone are the days when women wore slips under everything, which isn't a bad thing per se. But remember, slips smooth-out lumps and bumps under clingy fabrics and body-conscious designs. With a plethora of adorable and sexy slips on the market today, there is no excuse to look your best in the teeniest spring dress. For full-body options, the Agent Provocateur Zelma Satin Contour Dress will give you show-stopping curves while the Organic by John Patrick Bias Slip is perfect for the thinnest sundresses. If a half slip is more your style, the Carine Gilson Egérie Silk-Satin Half Slip is so gorgeous, you'll never want to go without.
4. Say no to visible panty lines. This is simplest, yet most readily broken rule. If you're wearing tight pants, WEAR A THONG. There is nothing grosser than seeing panty lines bulging out from a fitted dress or pair of pants. All lovely and comfortable, these four thongs are safe to try: Elle Macpherson Intimates Obsidian Eleanor Stretch-Silk Thong, Cosabella Soire Low-Rise Thong, La Perla Iconic Surpiqué Satin Thong and Topshop White Deep Lace Thong.
5. Conceal your bra straps. There's nothing wrong with your bra casually peeking out from a weekday tank top, but for the love of God, don't let it show when you're all dolled-up and fancy. There are plenty of comfortable options out there that convert into many different styles, so all you need is one or two to start. As far as convertible options go, Donna Karan Luxe Solutions Halter Bra, Natori Body Options Convertible Bra and Huit Cupcake Bandeau Bra are some of the best. If a plain 'ole strapless is what you're looking for, the Calvin Klein Ivory Customized Lift Strapless Bra and Simone Perele Velia Plunge Strapless Bra are both great options.
What are your secrets for looking great underneath your spring wardrobe?