INTERVIEW: Jane Aldridge from Sea of Shoes
Mar 15, 2010 - by Annabelle Cheesecake, Parisian Princess
Who doesn't love Jane's blog? We all dream of having that many pairs of shoes. Jane, we love you! Check out our exclusive interview with Jane Aldridge of Sea of Shoes.
1: What made you start the blog?
I started it three years ago when I was fifteen, because I was bored, lonely for fashion friends, and because spent lots of time on the computer.
2: Best perk? Valuable insight into an industry I loved but had no realistic ideas about.
3: What is the best advice you can give someone who wants to start a fashion blog?
Be prepared to learn a lot of the boring tech/graphic stuff. Blogging is a huge investment of time if you want unique high quality content.
4: Tell us about your typical day?
Usually wake up around seven, have coffee in bed and write in my journal, check email, answer emails. Sometimes I'll go into Dallas for meetings or have conference calls. Taking pictures for my blog takes a long time, especially if I take them myself! I have to spend a long time editing and uploading them when I'm done. When I'm free my friends come hang out and we'll make dinner or go to shows.
5: Who or what inspired you to work in your field?
When I started my blog three years ago I was inspired by Susie Bubble and Kingdom of Style. I still love their blogs! I love Tommy Ton's photography style and how he embraces the fetishy side of beautiful shoes. I love the layouts on JustJr too.
6. Do you have any hidden talents?
My hidden talent is keeping secrets.
7. If you werent in fashion today, what would you be doing?
8. If you could meet anyone, who would it be?
Miuccia Prada or maybe Werner Herzog
9. Tell me something most people wouldnt know about you
I'm a big sicko.
10. Is there anyone you really want to work with?
I wouldn't be so bold as to name names! ( and wouldn't that jinx it?)
11. Describe yourself in three words
Dirty old man
12. What do you do when you have free time?
Download music, go to shows, watch movies, read.
13. If you were given three wishes, what would you wish for?
That's an overwhelming question! I have a terrible hoarding habit, if I were given unlimited means to indulge it, my life would be ruined!
14. Describe one of the best moments that youve had so far
Sitting on Coco Chanel's couch. Totally zen moment for me.
15. Is there any fashion trend that you cant stand?
I don't know. There are a few colors that I can't stand, but I don't if I can think of any trends.
16: Do you receive free shoes from designers or do you buy everything?
Very rarely are my shoes gifts.
17: If there was movie made about your life, who would you want to play you?
Tough question...I'd want the actress to be from Texas too. And the movie would have to have an awesome soundtrack.
18: What makes you really mad?
People are so uptight and judgmental!
19: What superpower would you want?
The ability to pause time.
20: What are five things you cant live without?
1. Lots of alone time 2. Lots of sunlight 3. Nice clothes. 4. Nice shoes. 5. A certain degree of organization.... 21: What do you hope to be doing 10 years from now? Entrepreneur...is that vague enough for you?? Sorry! 22: Any other projects you are working on?
Yes, there are :) 23. Are you planning on going to college? If so where and to study what?
For now I'm taking a year off. 24. Are you planning on moving out of your small town?
Yes, but I find New York and LA a little overstimulating. I like the south.
25. What is your favorite item in your closet? At the moment, a vintage fuchsia Victor Costa bolero with tulle-stuffed sleeves the size of disco balls.
For more pictures, click here.