Straight Man Complaint: High Waisted Shorts
Jun 30, 2011 - by Jessica Lapidos
I may be known to boast a high waisted short from time to time, and regularly advise you to do the same. And we know why we wear them - when done correctly, they can be quite the flatterer to a figure. But last night, as I wore a pair of long man's shorts done up high at the waist, belted for definition, I discovered, and this may come as a shock to all but The Man Repeller: Straight men don't like them.
High waisted shorts are sadly wasted on the straight man.
"They remind me of what my mom used to wear," says Hot Straight Man. EEEK. Buzzkill.
As his hot straight guy friends all concurred with vigor, I realized this could either be an agree to disagree situation, or we, lady-kind, can take steps to come to a middle ground. So maybe hit a situp or two, and rock these low rises for the first time this side of 2009.
[Row by row, left to right, starting with the lady]
1. Dark denim, cut short. Blank NYC, $68
2. Floral with length to spare. Desire Clothing, £18
3. Short trouser short. All Saints, $65
4. Olive a good cuffed bottom option. Madewell, $65
5. Stretch silk chiffon rides low and bright. Jean Yu, $200
6. Natively embellished and assymetrical. All Saints, $250
7. Hot yellow hot pants for a day just as bright. Topshop, $55
8. Faded floral in innocent denim. ICHI, 30
9. Leather cut-offs for a badass. Chloë Sevigny for Opening Ceremony, on sale for $375
10. Blinding cyan on the lowdown. J Brand, $205