Stuff Fashion People Like #17 Runway Falls
Apr 01, 2008 - by Fashion Indie
If you're ever in the company of non-fashion people (perish the thought) and the conversation careens towards speak of things non-fashion things, people discuss don't be surprised if what they choose to talk about is NASCAR. But, before any discussion of the "sport" sends you veerying for dirty martini and a long puff remember that NASCAR is surprisingly similar to a runway show, we all just want to see a crash.
The catwalk has always been a spectator sport, but now what all fashion people are secretly wishing for isn't the perfect print or use of exotic leathers, it's a full-on, cringe-inducing, knock a tooth out tumble from one the anorexic clothes hangers on the runway. This desire is deep suited in the narcissistic psyche of the fashion person, who at all times wants to look better than everyone in the room, even when half the room is filled with models.
When talking to a fashion person it's important to have a few great runway spills in your memory. Here's a list of our Top Ten Model Falls to keep you slightly more relevant that Rachel Zoe at the helm of Holsten.
1. Jessica Stam at Chloé, Fall 2006. It was the fall felt round the world and thanks to YouTube, it was seen around the world too. Stam's right foot tripped her up; her body to collapsed forward; her forehead hit the runway. It made even your most embarrassing schoolyard fall look weak. But while you probably wouldve burst into tears, this trooper got right back up to applause.
2. Milana Bogolepova at Dior, Resort 2008. Stiletto sandals and swimsuit cover-up proved too much for poor Bogolepova, who tottered so badly that she hit the ground not once, but twice. Official blame fell on her pin-thin heels, though there were vicious whispers backstage of just how much pre-show champers was consumed.
3. Elise Crombez at Proenza Schouler, Spring 2007. Again, dangerous shoes were to blame. Crombezs sky-high heels made her pitch forward, like a runner at the start line. The audience gasped, the photographers cringed, but somehow, the girl escaped with knees unscathed.
4. Kamila W. at Vivienne Westwood, Spring 2007. Kamila's trip was excruciating and hilarious. Her first tumble brought her to her knees. Then, after getting back up and fluffing her hair, her ankles give and this time, she nearly broke them. Sadly, her fame seems to end here.
5. Iekeliene Stange at Marc Jacobs, Spring 2007. Faced with a slick runway, Stange gave up on trying to maneuver the catwalk in slippery shoes. She kicked off her sandals to much applause and continued the walk barefoot. Now that's how to handle a fall.
6. Carmen Electra at Max Factor Fashion Show. Few falls bring as much joy as watching former Baywatch babe, Carmen Electra take a dive at a Max Factor Fashion Show. Rumors say that this fall created such a frenzy, that Carmen now refuses to allow photographers to take snaps of her runway adventures, as noted at a future performance at 2(x)ist Spring 2008.
Want more. Of course you do, you're becoming a fashion person...