20 Brilliant Shoes to Transform Your Entire Look
The shoe is a mighty powerful thing. It can take your outfit from here to HERE. Platforms help. When co-workers, friends, dudes on the street give you the head-to-toe, the pop factor might hit at the foot. A shoe by any other name might look as sweet. These 20 shoes have transformative superpowers. See what we’re talking about, and how you can step up your look.
1. Walter Steiger: The most groundbreaking shoe in existence at this moment is the Walter Steiger Ishi, or as I like to call it – the inverse platform. Instead of the typically shaped heel that places all of the pressure of your body onto the ball of your foot, this downward slope places your weight mainly on the heel and arch, leaving your balls and toes just chillin’. That is until you roll forward and stand on point.
**The first time I saw these shoes they were drawn on a napkin. I found myself in an in depth conversation with someone at the Timo Weiland after party during Fashion Week in February about the state of shoes on the market. I had been searching tirelessly for a pair that didn’t exist. I explained to this person what I’d been looking for – a giant walk-through-puddles height platform that rolls forward at the toe, with solid ankle support. Excitedly, he reaches for napkin and pen and draws this. This person was Paul Steiger, Walter Steiger’s son. At the sample sale he invited me to that followed Fashion Week, I got these platforms and have since worn them to bits and pieces (they even survived a Bassnectar show, as they are now my favorite shoes to dance in). Then this morning, I went to the showroom and previewed the Fall collection where I got to
try on dance in Spring’s #1:
2. Prada: Colorful striped elastic bands that hold your foot tight call for attention. The rubber sole gives you stability.
3. Alexander Wang: Zip it, flap it, lace it. You’re still showy in nude.
4. Rodarte: Engraved leather, whittled heel. That totem pole commands a look.
5. Modekungen: Black and white platform – a nod to Prabal and your dual personality.
6. Jeffrey Campbell: Arch support, who needs it? Just chop it off and leave a wooden cutout in its place.
7. Emilio Pucci: A Pucci print catches the eye, no matter what. These could make even a LBD psychedelic.
8. Julian Louie for Aldo: The ikat draws the eye and reminds of peaceful tribes.
9. Carmen Raffia: The color will blend in with your leg, thus transforming your platform incognito. Plus, the flat lean-to front sole begs the on-point stance.
10. Two Lips: The lime straps off the spine will stack you up jazzed.
11. Giuseppe Zanotti: Gold plated thick strapped flats can enhance your look without the height.
12. Balenciaga: The striped platform will hypnotize.
13. Opening Ceremony: Strapped salmon on a heel/platform that will make people wonder if you’re wearing it upside down.
14. Jeffrey Campbell: JC makes the list twice not only for its glorious affordability, but these are freaking mary janes sitting on a rainbow!! These have the capacity to alter your state of being entirely.
15. Alexander McQueen: These will actually alter your soul. The heel is a flutter of gold leaves from a coral reef deep in the sea of dreams.
16. Lanvin: Tanned fringe layered over a wooden wedge burns in the spotlight.
17. Opening Ceremony: The brightest cheetah is the boldest, and his bootie is tied with leopard chiffon. Two cats are better than one.
18. Opening Ceremony: OC is back with the most bizarre loafer I’ve seen in my life. Made purely of woven leather strands, they are one of the few flat conversation starters.
19. Fendi: Tri-sole platform makes a new covetable shape.
20. Pierre Hardy: A red patent strip in the back makes passersby do a double take.
Find shoes that will start the conversation and you’ll stand taller. The flashier shoes you have, the more you’ll be able to repeat your fabulous layering basics.
Which shoes have transformed you?