by Rebecca Alexander on
TRESemmé signed on as the official haircare sponsor of this year’s spring shows for NYC Fashion Week granting the
brand with backstage access at one of the industry’s biggest events. TRESemmé Celebrity Stylist Nathaniel Hawkins, who led the hair teams for Tracy Reese and Cynthia Rowley, dishes his secrets for getting the look.
“This season, we saw a return to simple, yet beautiful hair. Whether the look of the show was
soft and feminine or exhibited more of an edge, the common thread remained the hair looks -
face flattering and pretty. And the best thing about these styles is that they are easy to achieve
with the right products and tools,” says Hawkins.
Here are the trends, right off the runways, courtesy of TRESemmé:
Wave of Independence
“Gone are the days of binding curls and waves. This season, it is all about laid back, yet feminine glamour,” adds Hawkins. Rachel Roy, L’Wren Scott, Rebecca Taylor, Diane von Furstenberg and Anna Sui all sent this look down their runways. To get these hot waves:
1. Scrunch TRESemmé Flawless Curls Curl Hydration Lotion Crème into damp hair.
2. Blow dry the hair with a diffuser using the fingers or let it dry naturally.
3. Part hair evenly down the middle and finger comb each side into a ponytail.
4. Taking each ponytail, twist the lengths of the hair until it starts to twist onto itself,
creating a bun on each side of the head; secure each bun with a hair pin.
5. Using the diffuser, dry each bun and let the hair sit for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the pins and finger comb hair, creating beautiful, tousled waves.
7. Run a dime-size amount of the TRESemmé Anti-Frizz Secret Styling Crème over the
lengths of the hair to tame flyaways and add shine.
“A lot of shows this season featured a dual-finish hairstyle with either a mix of shiny and matte or rough and smooth,” notes Hawkins who created such a look for Cynthia Rowley’s show. Other designers who showcased the look included: Alexander Wang, Erin Fetherston, Thakoon and Richard Chai.
To copy the ponytail follow these simple steps:
1. Pull hair back into a ponytail using a boar bristle brush
2. Work TRESemmé Anti-Frizz Secret Styling Crème into the hair at the top of the ponytail
but not throughout the lengths of the hair.
3. Spray the mid-shafts and ends of the hair with TRESemmé Thermal Creations Heat
4. Blow dry hair against the natural direction of the cuticle to create a rough texture, which
will contrast the sleek, shiny top section of the head.
5. Finish this look with a touch of TRESemmé TRES Two Extra Hold Hair Spray
throughout the ponytail.
Hawkins and the TRESemmé Styling Team tied shiny black ribbon on all of the models at the Cynthia Rowley show to add a touch of glam.
Soft Around the Edges
“Stick straight locks had their moment on the runway, but the look right now is all about smooth hair with some bend and movement,” says Hawkins. This chic style was seen on the runways of some of fashion’s biggest names including BCBG, Doo.Ri and Donna Karen. Hawkins loved the way this styled complemented the straight lines at the Herve Leger show.
Getting the look is simple:
1. Apply TRESemmé Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray to hair, followed by a liberal application of TRESemmé Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse from the roots of the hair to the ends.
2. Blow hair dry with a medium-sized round brush.
3. Spray Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray onto the hair again.
4. Take sections of hair twice the depth of the flatiron plate, pull the iron away from the head to create a slight curvature.
5. Add runway-worthy shine by lightly spraying the TRESemmé No Frizz Shine Spray.