Edited by Amanda Gabriele on
I don’t know about you, but there is nothing like a breezy, colorful, thrifted muumuu to beat the summer heat. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks this style of dress is appropriate for nice dinners, clubbing or industry-related events. Well I’m here to prove the haters wrong – a muumuu can be dressed-up for any occasion, and I’m going to show you how.
This dress was purchased at a Goodwill somewhere in Connecticut for $4. Don’t be too jealous of the tropical fish motif because you too can find something (almost) just as nice.
1. Shoes are key when dressing up a muumuu. Make sure you’re adding at least three inches to your height. Choose something colorful and statement-making like these Elie Tahari Nyla Sandals.
2. A very expensive bag is a must when rocking a shapeless frock. People may snicker at your frugal threads until they see this Miu Miu Top Handle Bag. Your savvy, impeccable taste will shut them up immediately.
3. There’s nothing like a red bandana for summer, especially to accentuate the breezy aura of your look. No one will dare ask questions about your thrifted outfit when wearing the Boss Lady Bandana around a regal hairstyle such as the beehive or high bun.
4. What’s a day without gold? Add a little bling bling to your vintage cotton threads with these Oscar de la Renta 24-karat Cabochon Earrings. The extra flash is necessary, especially for formal occasions.
5. Chunky bangles channel your bohemian vintage insides while staying on top of the fashion game. A mix of stones, metal and wood like these Aldo Galluzzi Bangles are interchangeable with tons of colors and patterns.
6. A killer pair of retro sunglasses like the Linda Farrow Luxe Retro Style Sunglasses are KEY to accomplishing an appropriate muumuu look. They say “I don’t give a f*ck” so you don’t have to.
Tell me, what is your favorite muumuu and how do you jazz it up? Let me know in the comments or @CrystlMeatballs.