Edited by Amanda Gabriele on
Let’s be honest, we don’t have the time to spend countless hours or hundreds of dollars at the spa every week pampering our skin (unless of course its Spa Week), but in The City That Never Sleeps where pollution of all forms is wreaking havoc on our bodies, we need to take extra good care of our biggest organ. This How To will show you the best products to use daily and weekly so you can save time, save money and look your absolute best via glowing skin.
1. WASH YOUR FACE. I know it sounds easy, but we’ve all been to that dark place at 4:30 a.m. after a night of drinking when you just want to pass out in your warm comfy bed. Here is something I have learned the hard way – routine is everything, and you will never have nice skin if you don’t take your makeup off at the end of the day. A gentle, no-frills soap that rinses clean is your best bet. My favorite, as simple as it seems, is the Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar, fragrance free. I know it sounds ridiculous, but this bar actually makes me want to wash my face because it feels so clean after.
2. Exfoliate, but not too much. There are tons of medical exfoliation treatments out there like chemical peels and microdermabrasion that could damage skin in the long run and make it more difficult to regenerate cells. But it is good to remove dead skin, so an exfoliation treatment twice a week will leave skin feeling soft without overworking it. I swear by the Skin by Monica Olsen Refine Deep Penetrating Clay Cleanse and GRAM Skincare Daily Scrub.
3. Use an alcohol-free toner to balance and hydrate skin. Alcohol dehydrates our skin and bodies, so why should we rub it all over our faces? Ditch your old toner and get something soothing and non-irritating like the Borghese Effetto Immediato Spa Soothing Tonic for Sensitive Skin. Gently massage it into your skin twice a day with a cotton pad to hydrate your skin. You can also spritz it on your face throughout the day as a cool, calming refresher.
4. Moisturize your skin and protect it from the sun. The sun is our skin’s worst enemy, so it is absolutely crucial to slather on a moisturizer with SPF before you step out of your house. It’s best to use SPF 25 or higher, so Murad Essential-C Day Moisturizer SPF 30 is a good bet.
5. Take off your eye makeup before washing your face. Leaving mascara on your lashes only to flake of into your precious and delicate eyes can cause serious irritation and even infection. Again, alcohol is the enemy, so choose wisely. Sephora Collection Eye Makeup Removing Pads are hassle-free and moisturize lashes in the process.
6. Purifying masks feel great and work wonders on stressed skin. Masks can be tricky because if used too much, they can stress the skin out, making it too dry. But learning to detect when your skin needs a detoxifying treatment can move mountains. By eliminating dead skin cells and drawing out impurities, our skin has the energy to generate new cells and create a flawlessly fresh face. REN Multi Mineral Detoxifying Facial Mask keeps skin toned and decongested.
7. Eye treatments are beneficial to people of all ages. Just because you’re young and spry doesn’t mean you should neglect the most delicate skin on your face. There are hundreds of eye treatments out there to remedy everything from dark circles to wrinkles. Elizabeth Grant makes a dynamic eye treatment duo call The Socializer. Bright Lights helps to erase last night’s party: one swoop of the pen is cooling, soothing and hydrating, helping to get rid of puffiness and dark circles. Apply Late Nights before bed to look refreshed and awake in the morning, even if you’re running on four hours of sleep.
8. A good moisturizer will get you through the night. We are supposed to start the day with a tall glass of water because sleeping dehydrates the body. Boscia Oil-Free Nightly Hydration provides weightless, 8-hour hydration for the skin while combating excess oil. Especially if you are prone to breakouts, this is an excellent cream. For ultra-dry skin, Boscia Restorative Night Moisture Cream is a great product.
Soft, flawless skin takes work, dedication and a few really great products. But once you get going with a routine, it is hard to break after seeing the results. What are your favorite skincare brands and products?