by Beca Alexander, Editor-in-Chief on
Art Basel can be a bitch. With over 260 top galleries from around the world getting ready to “party in the city where the heat is on”, it can be a little overwhelming to say the least. We asked Anthony Petrillose, managing editor of leading art book publisher Rizzoli, to give us a few tips on navigating the largest art show in the Americas.
According to Petrillose, even while at the chicest party, most people will feel like they are “missing something else that could be bigger and better.” He suggests attending the obvious choices of the week which include “Art Basel Miami Beach at the convention center, the Design Miami pavilion, and the myriad of art fairs surrounding Art Week Miami.”
Need more to do?
1. The new Freehand Miami hotel designed by Roman & Williams. Quiet possibly the closest a New Yorker can feel to sitting/working at the Ace Hotel lobby. Plus, this destinations a must for The Broken Shaker, a mixologist hotspot with drinks til 2AM. 2727 Indian Creek Drive, Miami Beach [Freehand Miami]
3. David Lynch’s Club Silencio pop-up at The Delano (Dec 6-9th). Pop-ups and Basel go hand-in-hand and we can’t wait to see what David’s dreamed up for one of South Beach’s most iconic hotels. 1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach [The Delano]
>4. The Webster for Kelly Klein‘s new Rizzoli book, Pools: Reflections (Dec 6, 6-8pm). We’ve been obsessed with the Webster since Target shops, heading there for Kelly Klein seems right up our alley. 1220 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach [The Webster]
5. The Standard Hotel for Bruce Weber’s new book (Dec 6, 6-8pm). The man who made us long for beefed up Abercrombie boys will be in the house for the release of his new retrospective. 40 Island Avenue, Miami Beach
6. The Webster for the launch of Maripol’s new jewelry line, Atomic Glamour. The stylist responsible for giving Madonna the accessories to compliment her Like a Virgin bride, Maripol is an 80′s flashback worth having. (Dec 7, 4:00-6:00pm)
7. Eric B. and Rakim at The Stage (Dec 7, 8:00pm). While hip hop and art don’t seem to be immediately perfect bedfellows, you still need to see this performance. 170 NE 38th St, Miami [The Stage]
8. Moncler’s new store opening in Bal Harbour with Pharrell Williams signing his new Rizzoli book, Pharrell: Places and Space I’ve Seen (Dec 8, 6:00-8:00pm). Um, you don’t even have to ask. We’re there. [Bal Harbour Shops]
Follow Anthony Petrillose on Twitter for live updates from Art Basel Miami: @apetrillose