by Lester Brathwaite on
While it has yet to name a creative director, the house of Schiaparelli is getting ready to open for business with a new couture salon where its eponymous founder had originally called home.
Elsa Schiaparelli set up shop at 21 Place Vendôme in 1935, a 98-room space she converted into three showrooms, offices and workrooms with the first floor serving as her boutique — the Schiap Shop. She shuttered her line in 1954 after finding that French fashion had changed with the advent of Christian Dior’s New Look.
Today, the retailer Dubail has assumed the Schiap Shop’s lower level, but Schiaparell’s new owner Diego Della Valle has transformed the third floor into the couture salon with offices and ateliers currently being constructed on the fourth and fifth floors.
Valle recently hired Camilla Schiavone as the company’s CEO and Farida Khelfa has been on board as brand ambassador since May, however he has yet to name a designer. The house of Schiaparelli will nonetheless present a small “prêt-à-couture” collection in January in the newly-appointed salons. [WWD]