Edited by Lester Brathwaite
As everyone is well aware, I’m sure, it’s super hard being a male model. Every now and then they have to update their books or put to rest any fears they might have started eating or stopped working out and they have to drag themselves into their mother agency where their agent or an in-house photographer takes Polaroids of them in their underwear. Arduous. So this Male Model Humpday, we’re tipping our hats to their sacrifice while taking a tip from one Mr. André 3000. Get ready to start shaking, kids.
Edited by Lester Brathwaite
The Grammys are perhaps the biggest joke in the echelon of awards shows — only a step above in relevance from the People’s Choice Awards and battling it out with MTV’s Video Music Awards in terms of red carpet atrocities. Purporting to recognize the best of the year in music, the Grammys more often than not turn into a popularity contest where album sales, or career seniority, determine the winner. There have been many egregious mistakes in the past that do not even merit discussion and next year’s ceremony will doubtfully be any different. The 54th Grammy Awards nominations were announced Wednesday night with Kanye West leading the pack with seven and Adele nipping at his Louis Vuitton heels with six.
Edited by Jessica Lapidos
The master of social awkwardness, Jerry Seinfeld himself, has naysaid Seven as a name. George Costanza thought it was a good idea? ‘Nuff said. Be that as it may, some celebrities have insisted to number their children. Case in point, Posh and Beck’s new baby [spice] girl, Harper Seven Beckham. Though they weren’t the first, Erikah Badu and André 3000 blessed their child with the name Seven Sirius Benjamin (sorry, Ms. Jackson). Well, Seinfeld believes that naming a child Seven will directly contribute to it getting 7-life in jail, by way of 7 beatings, stitches, etc. Here are Seinfeld’s 7 useful baby name alternatives for George’s un-conceived child, and future celebrity offspring:
Edited by McArthur Joseph
To celebrate then end of our music month here are 10 trendsetters from the hip hop world.
Edited by Jessica Lapidos
Music is just about the ultimate sensory satisfaction. The songs that enliven your soul are created by gods of rock that don’t dare stop at the auditory; the sensation is full faceted. They may not call it fashion, but the greatest bands on the planet know in their blood that how they look helps drive the succes of the music itself. That way, when chicks like me are getting their groove on in the audience, we’re dancing with the pure sexiness on the stage before us – sound, body and soul. Here are the 10 bands* that do it best; fusing their sound to their clothes, dressed the way they rock.
Edited by Princess Glover
Celebrity clothing lines are a dime a dozen nowadays, having become so unreasonably commonplace that it might be safe to say you’re not a real star unless you manage to churn out one (though you couldn’t even dress yourself without the help of a professional). I’ll be the first to say leave it the ones who know what they’re doing, but I will also say that there have been a few, very few that not only have managed to stay relevant as far as fashion is concerned, but exemplifies the true spirit of design: originality, creativity and quality–a rarity amongst the famous. Here are the exceptions:
1. Elizabeth and James by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen- because they don’t try so hard.
2. L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani- the shoes are beyond dope.
3. J.Lo, Sweetface by Jennifer Lopez- even though Sweetface went belly up, she’s the one that started it all, and don’t act like you’ve never owned (or wanted to own) at least one pair of her jeans or one of those ghetto fabulous velour sweatsuits. Guilty.
4. Kate Moss for Topshop- a fashionista’s wet dream
5. House of Harlow by Nicole Richie- hate the girl, love the jewelry.
6. Benjamin Bixby by Andre 3000- gettin his grown man on.
7. Twenty8Twelve by Sienna Miller- Does she still qualify as a celebrity? Nonetheless spring/summer 09 is looking pretty good…
8. Chloe Sevigny for Opening Ceremony- hipster chic at its finest.
9. The Victoria Beckham Collection- this shameless clotheshorse knows her shit.
10. William Rast by Justin Timberlake- I think we were all surprised that this didn’t turn out as bad as we had assumed.
Edited by Hillary Frazier
We’ve concocted a list of male musicians that have their own band of fashion followers. (In no particular order, it’s too hard to decide that stuff)
1. Michael Jackson: Even more so now, MJ was always known for his crazy fashion sense, and sparked trends all around the world, from military blazers to one glove.
2. Buddy Holly: Huge among the hip crowd right now, 50s and ‘nerdy’ styles are back, or never really left. Ray Bans and skinny ties, win.
3. David Bowie: Glam rockers unite for the man in the makeup.
4. Justin Timberlake: After he trimmed his curls, JT is almost always spotted in a dress vest and tie, keeping it casual with jeans but still looking undoubtably cool.
5. The Beatles: They not only influenced millions with their music, but also with their collared shirts and circle-shaped glasses.
6. Kriss Kross: I have no idea which marketing exec. told these kids to put their clothes on backwards (although I’m sure they probably came up with the idea themselves), but this was HUGE (just as huge as their clothes were on them…)
7. Sid Vicious: Ah Sid and Nancy, every punk’s idol. (minus swastika shirts)
8. Andre 3000: My favorite style ever, Andre 3000 is always dressed to kill.
9. Run DMC: You can still find those chains in St. Marks. Adidas classics? Nice.
10. Pete Doherty: Aside from the drugs, it’s now cool to look like a homeless drug addict, apparently.
Who are your favorites?
Edited by Corey Moran
Coco Sumner is no stranger to the fashion, and is more than just another rock star offspring turned fashionista. With a couple Burberry campaigns under her belt, Coco is here to leave her own mark on the fashion world. Coco has been seen looking as hipster grunge as Cory Kennedy and as (dare I say) chic as Agyness Deyn. Recently seen at Andre 3000′s Benjamin Bixby party in London, Coco is just another youngster who is here to morph the fashion world.
Thanks to Style.com for the pics!