Gender bending has been twisting and expanding our perception of beauty pretty strongly for the past few years. Models with fierce, yet sexually ambiguous features have claimed the runways and darlinged on covers. If you don’t recognize the seven faces that follow, you may have a hard time guessing which model is which sex.
Sexy topless ladies seem like an American standard in car commercials. But in Japan, they like to see topless androgynous men giving a fierce catwalk and a killer hair flip. Stav Strashko fools Japanese television watchers in a new advertisement for Toyota.
Indie Newsroom is brought to you by Andrej’s new reality, America’s Olympic China pattern and Teen Vogue‘s tantrum.
Andrej Pejic Struts Down the Aisle, Carine Rotifeld’s Mag Getting a Doc and Galliano Schiaparelli Rumors
- Jessica Simpson can barely give her baby photos away. The new mother has sold them for a mere $800,000 to People, a paltry pittance compared to Jennifer Lopez‘s $6 million and even Matthew McCounaghey‘s $3 million. It’s a sad day when you can’t even pull that Wooderson dough. [WWD]
- Who needs someone to put a ring on it when you look this damn good? Male model and lithe lady Andrej Pejic graced the Rosa Clara runway during Barcelona Bridal Week, thus upstaging every other biological woman. [Styleite]
J. Lo Straps One On for V, Beyoncé and Gwyneth Starring in Movie Together and Kanye’s Shoes Find a Home
- Speaking of which, Andrej Pejic is rumored to make his big screen debut. [Huff Po]
The Good, the Bad and the Kate Moss, Barney’s Going Bankrupt? and Calvin Klein Donates a Few Mil to FIT
- For W‘s March issue, Steven Klein explores the light and dark side of Kate Moss . Hint, there’s not much of a difference between the two. [W]
- Andrej Pejic perfected his tuck to model a bikini on a rooftop in New York. All in a gay’s work. [Telegraph]
- Wet Hot American Summer 2. Happening. Get into it. [Huff Po]
IndieNewsroom: Heidi Seals the Divorce Deal…Elle France in Racial Controversy…Nicki Minaj Gets Stupid
- Heidi Klum has confirmed that she is indeed divorcing her husband/noted oceanic crooner. And rumor has it, Seal‘s “Hulk-like” temper is to blame. [Jezebel]
Rihanna‘s never been known for her politics — and she’s even gone on record for basically not giving a fuck. So it comes as a surprise that the popstar has taken to the pulpit after a pair of racially-motivated attacks on her person, using grown-up and official-sounding words like “poor representation of the evolution of human rights” and “disregarding an entire race” and “intent of abasement.” Next thing we know, RiRi will turn in her girlish hotpants for a ladyish pantsuit and start partaking in discussions on the state of black America with Dr. Cornel West in between lunches with Michelle Obama.
‘Twas one hell of a year for fashion, 2011. Alexander McQueen triumphed this year thanks to a pair of well-documented dresses and a bona fide cultural phenomenon at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Christian Dior tried to rebound from a potential PR nightmare, to varying degrees of success. Diffusion lines easily out-shined their designer homes. An editrix reinvented herself amidst a sea of rumors without losing a beat. And underaged fashionistas grew up in front of our very eyes. Here are our picks for the 25 most memorable and stylish moments of 2011.