Edited by Hillary Frazier
Everyone knows trends find a way of phasing themselves back in (we’ve been going through a severe 90s grunge comeback for awhile now), but there’s a few trends that we hope never make it back to life (although some of them are trying desperately, or maybe already have):
1. Thong leotards over biker shorts- Wasn’t a good look when Kelly Kapowski from Saved By The Bell did it, and isn’t even a good look for 80s parties.
2. Shutter shades- I know once Kanye was spotted in these everyone went crazy over them, but in my opinion, shutter shades were never okay, and will never, ever be okay. They serve no purpose besides making you look like a douche.
3. Visors- I have a feeling that sooner or later, hipsters are going to think that grandma visors are ‘ironic.’ I’ll just put it out there now to save everyone the $5: they aren’t ironic, they’re ugly.
4. Mesh- so not okay. Small mesh (like the Brian Lichtenberg or American Apparel dress) = good. Big mesh = this guy.
5. Crocheted tank tops or bath suit tops as shirts- Just plain ugly.
6. Tying up dress shirts (a la ‘Hit Me Baby One More Time’)- This was cool for like, a day, but trying to be ‘sexy’ while being fifteen and in catholic school is not happening.
7. One size fits all shirts- I really don’t know who thought this was a good idea. These are the ugliest shirts I’ve ever seen in my entire life.
8. Guys in flared jeans/pants- I know this actually happens. I’ve been a witness to many guys still wearing flared jeans, most of the time girls’ jeans, but occasionally True Religion will make a pair of flares. Note to all guys: if you’re going to wear girls jeans, at least get ones that look like they could belong to a guy. And also, this is not the 70s.
9. Dark lip liner- Beyond trashy. Seriously, what the hell
10. Scrunchies- I really, really, REALLY hope this isn’t happening.
To all of the trend setters of the world, please do us a favor and stay away from reviving these, or prepare for a permanent spot in Street Zeroes.